*** This is a long post but then I will be caught up. ***
The class is structured with a 90 minute telephone lecture from Lisa on a specific topic each week, an assignment given ( seven total ) and follow up emails on the topic three times per week. She has many references for you within the emails so you can do as much or as little research as you would like on a given topic. Within each assignment you can choose from 6 different exercise to design your weekly piece. You set the parameters for your exercise before you begin. (Very good thing to learn for Miss "do it all here" and then never get anything done worthwhile. )
The first week's assignment is based on your original macquette which I posted previously. It was inspired by the rooflines of the local botanical garden. I chose a motif that I wanted to explore and my base design was created.
|Colleen Kole, Rooflines # 1 , First Series sketch|
The next week's assignment focused on color and value. I thought I would be in trouble with all my bold and bright colors so after conferring with Lisa decided to change up my original design ( save this for more subtle colors I dye this summer) and use the fabric I have on a new design. I chose the assignment of using a color combination which I hadn't used before-red and green.
|Colleen Kole, Rooflines # 2, 47 x 37|
The proportions weren't right with this piece and I feel the middle third needs to be re-done. I fell in love with the linework while doing this piece. And I am becoming less dyslexic with triangles.
I got a little bolder and more comfortable and thought I would try to use my bold and brights on the original design. The second week's assignment was on space and scale so I modified the size of some of the elements. Looking at how successful piece was as far as figure-ground composition was also part of the self critique.
|Colleen Kole, Rooflines #3 , 37x 46|
MMMM....the bold, bright colors worked but I really played it way too safe and worked in a grid rather than bringing any interest to the piece. Plus I ended up with a huge visible line dividing the piece and little to no value change within the elements or background. Even though I like the piece, it wasn't what I knew it could be. The great thing about working in a series is that you critique your work and decide how the piece can be improved in the NEXT piece. I also found you can enjoy a piece and like it but it can be improved upon. I love the moving on part! But this piece frustrated me so I re-did the assignment. :)
|Colleen Kole, Rooflines #4, 38 x78|
This piece turned out really large. I haven't done a self critique yet on this piece. I photographed it on the barn as we are in Vermont on vacation this week and the sunlight on it is kind of odd. But this feels better and now I will go write down why. Needs improvement but that's ok too.
This class has it all: working at home at your own pace, a kick in the seat three times a week with informational e-mails, establishing a good studio practice, and learning how to actually work in a series. I feel it is finally giving me the tools to move forward. Finally.