Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

An InBetweener

 

      Guess that is what I am here in Vermont. We have been coming here for about 8 years now. We have had a home here for 7 years. So, each time I come here-I am more and more sick of tourists. They have built a huge new resort on Stowe Mountain and it makes me sick each time I drive up there. A huge gapping gouge into the mountain. Very, very expensive rooms and they are marketing heavily to rich people. Who have spoiled kids and are incredibly rude to the shopkeepers and restaurants in the village. I am beginning to not like the week here between Christmas and New Year's. Too busy and too many rude people.

    But,  I don't feel like a tourist here anymore. ( And my kids are definitely not spoiled).  I have my favorite quiet spots that not many know about. But I also am not a  Vermonter.  Despite the fact that I am here for about 10 weeks a year, I am sure none of my neighbors consider me a Vermonter.  And they are exceedingly loyal to the natives.  I can milk a cow, muck a stall and fend off the mice and bats.  I don't ski but do lots of other outdoor Vermont things. I appreciate the beauty of Vermont and why they are so protective of their people. You have to be stoic to make it through mud season and the lull of winter. Or the roar of winter.  But none consider me a Vermonter.

     So, I continue to come and go. And I appreciate coming and going and having no specific schedule. Storing up the peace and rest -going back tomorrow.

     I did some sewing, some knitting, photos and thinking. And lots of reading.

     I'll be back sometime this week. After I unpack and put away Christmas.


I am ok being an inbetweener  but don't think I could live here full-time-despite how beautiful it is here.

Be creative, my friends!




    

3 comments:

  1. it was hard there...but then i didn't have my own place and money was tight. you got the best of both worlds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right. I didn't mean to sound like I am complaining at all. I am super privileged and appreciate every minute here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vermonter or not, if you have your own favorite secret spots away from the crowds, then you can certainly call it home. Even for only 10 weeks out of the year.

    ReplyDelete