Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

IQF 2010

 

   I had cancelled my reservations to the International Quilt Show in Chicago on Tuesday last week knowing that it would be foolish to think I could  drive 4 hours and then walk for two days straight after my foot surgery. But two things changed on Thursday-I was offered a ride for the day on Friday and I found out that it was the last year for the show in Chicago. So I jumped on the ride with some friends and got up very early to make it to the show by 9:15.

     After the announcement that it's the show's last year in Chicago, the crowds were huge. I am very sorry to tell you that I got to the show and found out that I had left my memory card for my camera at home. I was so sad.....the quilts were amazing as always. I think I saw about 75% of the exhibits and about 40% of the vendor booths. The exhibits I think I liked better than last year-subject matter and I really had fun with so many names I was beginning to recognize. The Rust Tex exhibit was interesting.  I was pleasantly surprised to run in to some old friends too. I ended up buying the cd because I felt so badly I forgot the memory card-ok I couldn't stop obsessing about my mistake and needed to move on with the day.

     My foot got tired and sore so I signed up for those great classes from Make-It University through Quilting Arts. I got into to two of the  mixed media classes and it was a good time to try different things I probably wouldn't do on my own-gel medium, setacolors, bling, etc. not because I don't like those things but just because it's another investment of art supplies.

     I did find some neat things and actually went with a list.

1.  Threads- I love Aurifil thread for piecing and these spools should last a good long time.




2. Scraps-Love poking around booths to see if they have plastic bags full of scraps-yes I pay for them but they are stuffed full of goodies.




3. Ribbons- Like to pick up special bits of hand-dyed ribbons and a great skein of silk scrap yarn. My little heart was  from one of my classes.


 Lynne-remember the banana yarn man?-this skein of scrap silk came from him.


Isn't it funny that what I love the most are the scraps I can recycle?

I will truly miss this show so close to home and doubt that I will get much opportunity to go again. The beauty of a quilt -and the ability to admire whatever I aspect I want to-up close-or from far away in the exhibit hall-is something I will forever treasure. And the great times and laughs with friends...

Missed you Lynne!


Happy Sewing, my friends!

4 comments:

  1. glad you got to go! good for you. wonder why its the last time they will do this. isn't fiber art on the rise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you can't believe how I am reliving our prior experiences. And I had no idea that this was the last year for Chicago. In so many ways, this venue was more doable than the others. Sad. I wish I had gone with you.
    I do remember the banana yarn booth. I came across that yarn in my stash just a few days ago. And I bought one of those ribbon skeins from him last time. Can you believe I brought it home and took it all apart so I could use it as fabric and not yarn? Crazy.
    Thanks for posting. Such fond memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula-sorry I wasn't very clear-It's the last year in Chicago. They are moving it to Cincinnati next year. From the amount of people it draws each year, sure does seem fiber arts are growing.

    Lynne-They just made the announcement this week. How were we to know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Cincinnati is closer. I might even be able to drive?

    ReplyDelete