Well, yesterday was my fabric dyeing day. I took your advice and worked on tans and browns. Some good results with the lighter colors. The pile that is ironed is the keepers. The pile behind it turned out grainy-as if the dye wasn't mixed enough. Bummer because it was an eight step gradation. It will be overdyed today. Need greens yet. So much for getting it done in one day. The thing about dyeing is that you have this big quantity of mixed dye left that you are compelled to use up. Which in turn means you buy more fabric...
I tried one thing yesterday that seemed to work. I soda soaked the fabric first. Then, I squeezed the dye on in another container, mushed it around and then dumped the excess out. Then I laid the fabric flat in the grass to dry. Popped it into the washer-presoak and extra rinse( no rinsing prior to) and dryer and I had fabric with good results without batching it overnight . I followed the directions in this Frieda Anderson's new book, Fabric To Dye For. This is what I did for the lighter fabrics-you must wait until it's fully dry and then she says it processed. I'll keep trying it and let you know if I get consistent results.
Might be taking a break for the next week as I need to drop my machine off for service. Plus with my foot I am very slow and far behind in general stuff....Yikes! I'll let you know.
Happy sewing my friends!