Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Missing the Olympics

     I really missed watching the Olympics last night. I would sit down with the kids and just do a little hand sewing each night. Just loved snuggling on the couch with the two kids and it was amazing how we all scattered so quickly last night finding other things to do. Have to think of something else.

     I have been trying to play catch up to my online class I have been taking with Melanie Testa at Joggles. We are making a small book which is filled with different techniques and stitches. Time-consuming but she is a great teacher and has plenty of notes to explain things. I need to figure out how to post these on their forum.


      Different from what I have been doing but fun to play.



This was a piece of fabric I had stamped last month. Glad to use it for something fun like this.

     I  also purchased this amazing resource that Robin Ferrier from Simply Robin suggested recently. (She's published this month in Art Quilting Studio magazine. Don't forget to get your copy!) I, too, have been thinking of trying dyeing with natural products. But the processing with mordants seemed not worth the hassle. This book, EcoColour by Indie Flint does a great job of explaining natural dyes and is an great resource. I was so inspired that I rolled up a bit of onion skins, silk and sprayed it with vinegar and put it away in a bag for a month. I know, that's a long time.



Then, I froze some flowers-only had a bunch of light colored tulip leaves- squeezed them into warm water and placed them in another vinegar solution. (Daffodils are toxic-good list of toxic plants, too.) I didn't used cotton but silk. I chopped up a silk scarf blank that was put away.


 I'll see what happens. I am sure, just as in using Procion Dyes, there is going to be a huge learning curve. I am all over the place this month , aren't I? Sure did cure the winter blahs though. Now I have so many ideas in my little head that I can't stop!


Working away on some machine quilting today. Happy sewing, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment